Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in Chief Roberta Joseph and Yukon’s Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources Ranj Pillai today announced that the two governments have begun work on the review of sustainable timber harvest levels for the Dawson forest planning area.
The review of sustainable timber harvest levels is part of ongoing collaborative work between Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in and the Government of Yukon to implement the Dawson Forest Resources Management Plan.
The review, known as a timber supply analysis (TSA), will ensure harvest levels remain sustainable over the long term. The timber supply analysis is a transparent process where the public and interest groups have opportunities to provide input.
"Working together on a timber supply analysis is an important step in managing the forest resources in our Traditional Territory. This will help us to work with the community to identify a sustainable volume of wood for harvest while supporting economic development and ensuring we remain good stewards of the land."
-Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in Chief Roberta Joseph
"The work on this timber supply analysis for the Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in Traditional Territory shows how Yukon is collaborating with other governments and renewable resources councils. It will assist us in achieving the goals of developing sustainable local business opportunities for timber manufacturing, fuel for biomass heating projects and employment opportunities for Yukoners."
-Yukon Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources Ranj Pillai
"Members of Dawson Renewable Resources Council look forward to engaging with community members in the timber supply analysis process as part of the council’s role under Chapter 17 of the Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in Final Agreement. This work represents a continued and collaborative approach to sustainable forest management in the region."
-Chair of Dawson District Renewable Resources Council Ian Fraser
- The timber supply analysis will support a new annual allowable cut decision which determines the amount of timber that may be made available annually for harvesting.
- The Government of Yukon and the Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in collaboratively manage the forest resources in the region with input from the Dawson District Renewable Resources Council.
- The timber supply analysis is part of the larger forest planning process set out in Chapter 17 of the Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in Final Agreement. The TSA follows the direction provided in the 2013 regional forest management plan, covering both Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in and Yukon Crown Land forests.
- The TSA is being completed with direction from a technical committee made up of representatives from the Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in and Yukon governments, and the Dawson District Renewable Resources Council.
- The process of completing a timber supply analysis looks at sustainable timber harvest levels in conjunction with other forest values such as wildlife, riparian and wetland management, land use and historic forest fire activity in the region.
Learn more: Dawson Forest Resources Management Plan
Communications, Energy, Mines and Resources