Premier Sandy Silver announced today that he has asked the Commissioner to convene a one-day session of the Yukon Legislative Assembly on January 12, 2017 at 3 p.m.
The purpose of the session is to elect the speaker, the deputy speaker, the deputy chair of the committee of the whole and other committee members. Commissioner of Yukon Doug Phillips will read the speech from the throne.
The public is invited to attend the sitting at the Main Administration Building at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse.
“I am pleased to have the support of the Yukon Party and the NDP for the one day session. The purpose is to make the necessary formal appoints to allow the legislative committees to begin their work. We look forward to welcoming all members and working together to build respect, accountability and inclusivity within Yukon’s Legislature.”
–Premier Sandy Silver
- Members of the 34th Yukon Legislative Assembly were elected on Monday, November 7, 2016.
- A one-day session allows a new government to set up mechanisms for the Yukon Legislative Assembly, such as getting a speaker in place and setting up a number of committees, while preparing for a longer sitting in the spring.
- Members will be appointed to the following:
- Members’ Services Board
- Standing Committee on Rules, Elections and Privileges
- Standing Committee on Statutory Instruments
- Standing Committee on Appointments to Major Government Boards and Committees
- Standing Committee on Public Accounts
- Premier Sandy Silver nominated Nils Clarke for the office of the speaker of the Yukon Legislative Assembly on December 6, 2016.
Learn more: Yukon Legislative Assembly