WHITEHORSE—The Honourable Doug Phillips, Commissioner of Yukon, invites everyone to join him for a special afternoon of holiday cheer at the annual Commissioner’s Levee on New Year’s Day.
Those who attend will have an opportunity to meet the Commissioner, enjoy some entertainment and visit with friends at a reception that follows the presentation of awards to outstanding Yukoners.
“This annual event provides an opportunity to showcase the outstanding efforts of many Yukoners, while sharing in the good cheer of the New Year," Commissioner Phillips said. “It’s a great time to reflect on 2014 and celebrate the year ahead.”
This year the Commissioner will present the Governor General’s Academic Medal to the top achieving students from schools across Yukon. He will also present Commissioner’s Awards and Commissioner’s Commendations.
The Commissioner’s Levee, which is free of charge and open to the public, takes place on January 1 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. at a new location, the Westmark Whitehorse ballroom.
See list of award winners below.
Communications, Executive Council Office
Governor General’s Academic Medal recipients
Created in 1873 to encourage academic excellence, the Governor General’s Academic Medal is awarded to the student graduating with the highest average from a high school.
• Katie Doerksen – Porter Creek Secondary School, Whitehorse
• Kimberly Gill – Eliza Van Bibber School, Pelly Crossing
• Quynh Nguyen – F.H. Collins Secondary School, Whitehorse
• Dustin Fraser – J.V. Clark School, Mayo
• Clara Reid – Vanier Catholic Secondary School, Whitehorse
• David Kahn – Del Van Gorder School, Faro
• Carolyn Miller – École Émilie-Tremblay, Whitehorse
• Natane Primozic – St. Elias Community School, Haines Junction
• Samantha Zacher – Watson Lake Secondary School, Watson Lake
Established in 1973, the Commissioner’s Award is the highest honour in Yukon.
• George Privett – Award for Public Volunteer Service; introduction by Ranjit Sarin
• Leona Watson – Award for Public Volunteer Service; introduction by Mike Craigen
• Donnovan Misener – Certificate of Exemplary Action; introduction by James Paterson
Commissioner’s Commendations recognize the special and valued service, both paid and volunteer, of staff employed by the Commissioner.
• Al Hubley
• Carol Winter
• Lyndsey Hamilton