WHITEHORSE—Planning for the creation of a master plan for the Education reserve in Riverdale (Reserve 850103) will commence in early November.
“A planning committee, chaired by Scott Kent, MLA for Riverdale North, will be established to explore options and make recommendations to the Yukon government regarding the use of the government-owned facilities and lands within the land reserve for the benefit of students and the community at large,” Minister of Education Elaine Taylor said.
Reserve 850103 consists of the site of the current and new F.H. Collins Secondary School and adjacent lands that include Selkirk Elementary School, Gadzoodsaa Residence, the Teen Parent Centre, and other lands.
The Education Reserve Planning Committee will be an advisory committee that will consider the short-, medium- and long-term use of the reserve. Guiding principles for the committee will be to:
- Maximize the site for student achievement and success.
- Maximize future flexibility of the site for both education and community use.
- Be as fiscally and environmentally responsible as possible with the site.
- Respect and provide opportunities for First Nations connections with the land.
- Complement existing and planned facilities in Riverdale and more broadly in the City of Whitehorse.
Representatives from the F.H. Collins Secondary School Council, Selkirk Elementary School Council, Commission Scolaire Francophone du Yukon, Kwanlin Dün First Nation, Ta’an Kwäch’än Council, City of Whitehorse, Teen Parent Centre, Gadzoodsaa Residence, Riverdale Community Association, and Sport Yukon have been asked to participate on the planning committee.