WHITEHORSE – Eight members have been appointed to Yukon’s new Solid Waste Advisory Committee to help set priorities for improving solid waste and recycling programs in Yukon.
“Yukon government is serious about creating a sustainable waste management system,” Community Services Minister Archie Lang said. “In response to what we’ve heard, we are successfully implementing the Yukon’s Solid Waste Action Plan by looking at waste management Yukon-wide and taking a partnership approach.”
The advisory committee will meet a minimum of four times a year with wide representation. This committee will explore partnerships, share information and provide broader advice to governments and communities on waste management.
“I am looking forward to the advisory committee’s contributions toward a modern and sustainable solid waste management system that includes recycling, waste reduction and waste diversion,” Lang said.
Chairing the committee will be Community Services’ operations and programs manager Wes Wirth. The following committee members began their two-year appointments on June 1:
- Amber Church as the youth representative;
- Joy Snyder as the recycling industry representative;
- Mike Bailie as the unincorporated Yukon representative;
- Anne Middler as the non-government organization representative;
- Barry Hassard as the trucking industry representative;
- Susan Desjardins as the Association of Yukon Communities representative;
- Jennifer Peterson as the Department of Environment representative; and
- Sabine Schweiger as the City of Whitehorse representative.
For more information about the action plan visit http://www.community.gov.yk.ca/cd/solidwaste, call 867-456-6191 or call toll-free at 1-800-661-0408, extension 6191.